This is Rockleigh—population approximately
500. Here you may stroll colonial roads where Revolutionary troops
once marched. Rockleigh’s landmarks lie within a 246.45 acre historic
district, and lie adjacent to the historic district of Palisades,
New York. We are traditionally connected to this area by Rockleigh
Road. Once part of the Old Rockland Neighborhood, Rockleigh’s colonial
history became the history of New York until 1769 when the boundary
line with New Jersey was settled after a long and bitter dispute.
During the Revolutionary War the area remained steeped in conflict
between patriot and Tory.
District area is rural in character with large open field and
meadow areas, natural glens and dense
wooded tablelands that extend from the eastern side of the borough
up to the top of the Palisades ridge. Occasional small waterfalls
spill over the steeper inclines and drain into the Sparkill Brook
which interwinds throughout the entire district. The woods provided
a sanctuary for various species of birds, Red and Gray Fox, Raccoon,
Deer and smaller wildlife.
historic districts of Rockleigh, New Jersey and Palisades,
New York are today what Old Rockleigh Neighborhood was. During
War, General Washington ordered a fortified military post to
established at Snedens Landing, as it was the American Commander’s
belief that Lord Howe might attempt to invade New Jersey by way
of Snedens Landing. The post was garrisoned by 500 men under Major
John Clark. Both Rockleigh and Piermont Roads were used by troops
coming to and from the landing. There are twenty three historic
buildings still standing in “Old Rockland Neighborhood” today.